Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New School!!

Wow. I see a really big difference between my primary school and secondary school, and my perspective towards it. 
In primary school, I had this unconscious thought that I had to be a very good kid, because somehow along the way, people have been planting scary illusions about primary school in my mind. Of course, I chose to accept it because I thought it was the best advice I could get.
  So I went to school, and I never believed that anything good could happen. Only until the few years before I graduated, when I was in Primary 4 or 5, did I realize that school is not a bad, the teachers aren't as mean. 
  And before I came to my secondary school, I knew most people got a bad impression of it. Again, I chose to believe that it was true. So before school started, which was the holidays, I was really nervous. Since most of the people have been studying there since they were still very very young, and they should probably know their way around, right? Being a person who doesn't like to feel left out or , you know, seen as someone who doesn't know everything, I was afraid that I'd mess things up. Also, I was afraid that I wouldn't have any friends because everyone has been in the same class for at least a year. 
  Then two days ago the holidays and ended and we had to go back to school.I was so nervous the night before. But the next day, most of that anxiety was gone. I had to face it eventually anyway, right? 
  So I went into class and sat there. I was one of the early ones (The second one to get in class, actually) I was hoping for a girl to sit next to me. Because a girl would be easier for me to get along with, right? 
  Well...guess what? My entire row was male...apart from another girl who had the same name as me. Natalie. So, the more you resist, the more the  "problem" persists. Turns out it wasn't a problem at all (more about that later). So that was the first day, and when I got home, I had this thought.
"Boys are so lucky to be able to make friends so quickly." 
  Girls can actually be harder to get along with. On the second day, I started to get to know the guys sitting around me. Turns out we read the same books, like the same things... SHOCKER! No, actually. After all, we are humans all the same. Humans of the same age, at that.
  And today, the third day. I finally began to feel that I was "one of them." Here's how it went. When I got to school, we started talking a bit more, and by then I had already remembered 98% of my classmates' names (the others were absent) so that made it easier. (I obviously learnt the name-remembering technique from CV :D) So we could communicate, right? And then during break time, Natalie asked to sit next to me. We started actually getting to know each other, and I found out that she was the only girl from her previous class that got into our form. She also introduced me to some of her friends. Now I'm known as Natalie 2. Haha. So Natalie is a really good friend now. 
  One more thing. There's a subject in which there is a foreman (even though the class is only girls) and a vice-foreman. The foreman was selected by the subject teacher. She told the foreman to choose a vice-foreman. This afternoon, the foreman suddenly asked me if I wanted to be vice-foreman. I was a little surprised that no one else wanted to be vice-foreman. Turns out I was the first person she asked. I don't know why, maybe because I was the person standing next to her then? Maybe because we have the same birthday? (Yeah, we do! Now I share my name AND my birthday AND favorite books with different people in my class! Wow!) Anyway, I agreed to be vice-foreman as long as no one else wanted the job. But the question that is still stuck in my mind is: Why should I be the vice-foreman. I'm just "the new kid", after all. Even Natalie said that I would be a good vice-foreman. 
  So that's how I came to enjoy school...quicker than I imagined!
  PS...It took me about 5 1/2 years to enjoy primary school. :o

No comments:

Post a Comment