Monday, August 12, 2013

Meteor shower

Last night, I heard that there was going to be a meteor shower. There was quite a lot of hype about it- some people were setting up their cameras, some were drinking coffee to stay up late, some were doubting the legitimacy of the rumors. 
But one thing everyone had in common was that they kinda want to watch the meteor shower. 
Why? Cause this is a once in a lifetime opportunity! It could be a life changing experience! I'll have something to tell my friends about! 
But if you think about it, this meteor shower is an event which has too many expectations tied to it. People are already expecting to be wow-ed and dazzled by an amazing show of... I don't know, light and heat? And expectations never fail to steal the magic from an experience.
The first (and only) time I ever saw a shooting star, I was caught unaware. I remember I was in the car. Staring straight ahead, I was shocked by a brilliant flash of light that sped across the night sky. It was over in less than a second, but after that I was just sitting there, delighted that I'd seen something so cool. I'm ready to bet that staying up for this expected meteor shower would be less cool.
But hey, of course this meteor shower could have been a special experience for some. Maybe you convinced your family that it would happen, and you all went out and spent time together stargazing. Maybe you had the chance to appreciate the beauty of the night sky, something you haven't done in a while. Maybe you had fun laughing with your friends about how gullible your other friends are... 
Which goes to show that it doesn't take a big, once in a lifetime experience to fulfill you. It's about appreciating the small, unexpected things in life, always marveling at how magical life is, if only you allow it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment